Friday, July 1, 2011

I've Been Told I'm A Little Twisted

   I've heard that a quilt project is still new if under 5 years old. This is my Twisted Bargello quilt top (started 2 years ago - still new!). The class was offered through Ozark Piecemakers Quilt Guild (I'm a member) and taught by Tony Munoz. It looks like a nightmare to make (20+ different fabrics), but if the chart is followed, it's not too bad. Strip piecing will be your BFF. There's a lot of prep time, so it's not going to be something you crank out in a week. Remember, still new - only 2 years old.


 
      If the quilt is turned on it's side, it reminds me of a fish. It is quilted with a purple/silver thread and just barely sparkles in the light. The thread makes me think of iridescent scales.

  


     The quilt is too big to put on a wall in my house and too small to put on a bed - not even lap size, so a few borders need to be added. I've collected more purple fabrics, but haven't decided which ones I will use. I am ALWAYS drawn to earth tone fabrics, but wanted to go out of my comfort zone. I am now a BIG time purple fan. No, I haven't changed the decor of my house to purple (do I have decor?) and the house is still basically earth tones, but I can't hardly leave purple fabrics in the store. I must feel them! I must have them! I must become The Purple!

     It's amazing how different this design looks in other colors. Several were shown at the Ozark Piecemakers Quilt Guild show in September 2010. My friend, Kathy, made one with blues and yellows. Another one was made in reds and looked like a Valentine. I will see if I can find pictures and edit/update this post then.


     Okay, this computer and the internet have about become my undoing tonight, huh, Bari? I have a few other quilt tops to show, all under 5 years old. Still new! That will have to wait until another day. AND wouldn't it be amazing IF they were finished before posting?


7-21-11 Revision: I found the quilts. They come out so different. Kathy has made 4 or 5 of these. I'm not sure I will do another. I'd better get caught up with other quilts first.


Red Puzzle by Sandy Higgins
Twisted Bargello
2010 Ozark Piecemakers Quilt Guild Show
Bargello Quilt by Kathy Haymes
Twisted Bargello
2010 Ozark Piecemakers Quilt Guild Show





No comments:

Post a Comment